The 10 most beautiful abandoned places in Portugal – With a mild year-round climate, history awaits the traveler in Portugal. Every corner of the country has historic monuments, museums, interesting events, tasty cuisine and wine. Portugal is consistently named one of Europe's top values. But, there are some places that have been forgotten by time.
Recently, 3Vilas put out out a list of the most beautiful abandoned places in Portugal. So, with 1,000s of years of history – we had to admire their work – and have translated and share it with you below.
Palácio do Rei do Lixo(King of Trash) or Torre do Inferno (Hell’s Tower)– Coina (Alentejo)
This strange tower is situated in the village of Coina and is a local landmark. Built by Manuel Martins Gomes Júnior, known as “King of Trash,” to show his greatness. Some say that he built the palace so that he could catch sight of a property he owned in Alcacer do Sal
Sanatório do Caramulo – Tondela (Centro)
This is one of the 19 spa/hotels that once thrived in the mountain spa town of Caramulo. The Caramulo Sanatorium was opened in 1921 (the first Portuguese resort built from the ground up) and was the first resort to have modern sanitation and electricity. This "Sanatorium Village" created by the doctor Jerónimo de Lacerda, with the plan of treating patients with tuberculosis.
Castelo da Dona Chica – Braga (Norte)
This beautiful “castle” was built by Francisca Peixoto de Sousa in 1915, however the work dragged on for decades. After having numerous were the owners the mansion fell into disrepair.
Casa dos Ingleses (House of the English) – Moita (Lisboa)
A beautiful farmhouse with private beach and chapel, which belonged to an English family. Today it is completely abandoned.
Hotel Monte Palace – S. Miguel (Azores)
This "modern hotel" is located overlooking the Seven Cities Lakes (Sete Cidades), on S. Miguel. It was the first 5 star hotel on the island, and despite its beauty and grandeur, its remote location led to its closing. Opened in 1989 and closed doors two years later.
Palácio de Midões – Tábua (Centro)
This palace occupies the central part of the Village of Midoes. The date of construction is unknown. The Midoes Palace is today in an advanced state of ruin.
House for the Professor or Quinta do Parreira – Oliveira de Azemeis (Centro)
A once-beautiful house, which has had several owners over the years. The names by which it is known due to two of its owners – who must have been teachers.
Convento de S. Francisco do Monte – Viana do Castelo (Norte)
This convent is set in the Village of Santa Maria Maior in Viana do Castelo. It was one of the first three convents of the Order of Friars Minor to be Built. Today it is a romantic ruin.
Convento de Seiça – Figueira da Foz (Centro)
Built by King D. Afonso Henriques in 1175, in honor of the Virgin Mary I thanks for a miracle received at the chapel of Our Lady of Seiça. D. Afonso Henriques died without seeing the completed construction of the convent. Today you can see the sky over the walls.
Chalet da Condessa d´Edla (now resorted!) – Sintra
This beautiful Chalet was built in 1864 by King Fernando II (also responsible for the rebuilding of the Palace of Pena) and his second wife, Elise Hensler – the Countess d'Edla. The building was in an advanced state of degradation in 2007 but has been totally rebuilt. –
See more at: http://3vilas.com/os-10-lugares-abandonados-mais-maravilhosos-de-portugal/ # sthash.ynJDIiok.dpuf