At various times called Crow, Cormorant, Marco, Statue, Lighthouse, St. Thomas or Black Island, it is the smallest island in the Azorean archipelago and the last to be settled. It is 4 miles long and 2.5 miles wide, harboring a community of just over 400 souls. "But we have more than a thousand head of cattle," says the van driver who awaits us at the pier.
The art of Portuguese sidewalks defines Portugal urban life and makes its cities uniquely Portugal.
The Charles W. Morgan was outfitted at Rotch's Wharf for its first voyage The name was at first rejected by its namesake builder before being used. Captain Thomas Norton sailed the Charles W. Morgan into the open Atlantic alongside the Adeline Gibbs and the Nassau to the Azores. A stop was made at the whaling port of Porto Pim at Horta on the island of Faial to gather supplies before crossing the Atlantic and passing Cape Horn.
Gil Vicente (1465-1536) was Portugal’s greatest playwright. His work represents the coming together of the mediaeval and the Renaissance spirit.
With many retailing under $10, these “green wines” offer crisp, dry flavors that blend well with popular summer dishes
José de Sousa Saramago was Portugal’s premiere writer and the winner of the Nobel Prize for literature. His 1986 "Stone Raft" is a tale of the Iberian Peninsula breaking off from Europe and floating out to sea.
The 2014 Sanjoaninas, festivities dedicated to São João in the Azores, will take place in Angra do Heroísmo from June 20 to 28th, 2014 . The festivities this year will also celebrate the 30 anniversary of Angra’s nomination as UNESCO’s World Heritage.
Luis Vaz de Camões is renown for his 10 Canto poem about the great explorer Vasco da Gama and his voyage to India.
Os Lusíadas is considered one of the a major epic poems of modern times. The epic poem gives us brief glimpses of the poet as well, whose tragic life is juxtaposed to that of his cousin, da Gama.
Very few places in the world allow you to explore and go inside a volcano. One of these places is the Algar do Carvão, located in the Azorean island of Terceira. The name Algar do Carvão means “coal pit” because the cave walls are formed from dark black lava.