Mafra, near Lisbon is known for its imposing Palace-Convent, the largest edifice in Portugal, built by order of King Dom João V in the 18th century. A recent renovation inside and out as brought back its luster.
King Dom João V, who still had no children three years into his marriage to Dona Maria Ana of Austria, promised the Franciscan monks that he would build them a convent in the Mafra area if his prayers for an heir to the throne were answered.
So, on the occasion of the birth of his daughter Dona Maria Pia, he began the building, the plan for which was initially quite modest. After the German architect Ludwig was contracted, however, the plan underwent considerable changes as a result of the luxury Portugal was experiencing at the time on account of the wealth coming from Brazil. Hence this grandiose monument was built, (including a convent for 300 friars, a basilica and a 666-room royal palace), in a record time, from 1717 to 1730, to be inaugurated on the king´s 41st birthday.
The Mafra Game Preserve that adjoins the Convent, acquired by King Dom João IV in the mid-18th century to enhance the value of the set of buildings, was used as a game reserve, and is now open to the public.