He stood out numbered by a massive Spanish army, the last hope for his nation - embodying an ancient line of kings, and the hopes of a million Portuguese. That was António, prior of Crato in the 16th century. Two centuries earlier, Álvaro Gonçalves Pereira, of the Order of St. John of Hospital, supervised the building of the Flor da Rosa Monastery in Crato a fortified abbey. It looked much like a medieval castle, with Gothic style, because at the time it formed part of a defensive line against Spain. Flor da Rosa was abandoned in 1843, but again restored in 1995, with the church rebuilt and reopened, and the monastery building turned into a Pousada. The Pousada has 24 Rooms, three of which are located in the Monastery's Tower.