Barrancos is one of the six town of Portugal constituted by a single urban center. The town has been held by the Romans, Visigoths and Moors - and became part of Portugal in 1167 . Barrancos was refortified in 1200, and was then part of the county seat of Noudar. The town flourished as a market town - and since the opening of boarders between Portugal and Spain, has become a mini United Nations. Its busy man street is flanked with shops and cafes. The folks in these eats speak both Portuguese and Spanish to each other -everyone get along, and understands each other. In fact, many eateries will offer a plate of the region' famous cured ham, or presunto, with a jar of red wine. In the local cuisine, the ham of Barrancos, that is a denomination of origin (PDO), according to the norms of the European Union stands out. Also you can sample the açorda in the tradition of Barrancos. Or try the Barrancos migas made with rich local bread.
The village of Barrancosis one of the few places in Portugal where it is legal to kill the bull in the arena during bullfights, as the Portuguese Parliament approved an exception in 2002 for Barrancos.
This event is in August Festivities of Barrancos and draws thousands of Portuguese and Spaniards to the town with a foot in two nations.