Carlos Alberto Cabral, the second Conde de Vizela, built a majestic house with huge gardens in the surroundings on the place where he used to spend time with his family in the summer in Porto. Calling on international architects like Charles Siclis and Jacques Ruhlmann, the structure took almost 20 years to build.
Completed in 1944, but by the time the Vizelas moved in their stay was to be short. The House was sold on 1955 to Delfim Botelho under the condition of making no changes to its structure.
In the late 80's the Portuguese State bought the property to use as a museum. In 1989 in a partnership between multiple organizations, private and public, the Serralves Foundation was born. A second Museum was built in the gardens and the House remains a venue for temporary exhibitions.
Known for its beautiful green lawns, decorated with sculptures and split into numerous walking paths with variety of plants, one can take a tour in the Villa or participate in workshops, conferences and short courses that the Foundation has to offer. Hard to imagine Porto without Serralves today!