Portugal was voted the World's Best Tourist Destination for the second consecutive year at the 25thAnnual World Travel Awards, at a ceremony held on Saturday, December 1, at the Pátio da Galé in Lisbon.
The World Travel Awards awarded a total of 16 prizes to Portugal, a record result, up significantly from seven awards last year and four in 2016. In June, Portugal was also named Best Tourist Destination in Europe for the second consecutive year.
Lisbon again won “Best city” (World’s Leading City Destination) but this year also “Best place for a short trip” (World’s Leading City Break Destination). And the “best island” award went to Madeira.
The full list of winners from Portugal:
- Best active tourism attraction (World’s Leading Adventure Tourist Attraction) – Passadiços do Paiva (the route along the valley of the river Paiva, Central Portugal)
- Best city (World’s Leading City Break Destination) – Lisbon
- Best city for a short trip (World’s Leading City Destination) – Lisbon
- Best city hotel (World’s Leading City Hotel) – Corinthia Hotel Lisboa (Lisbon)
- Best classic hotel (World’s Leading Classic Hotel) – Hotel Olissippo Lapa Palace (Lisbon)
- World’s Leading Conservation Company – Sintra’s Parks (Parques de Sintra – Monte da Lua)
- The best design hotel (World’s Leading Design Hotel), The Vine Hotel (Funchal, Madeira)
- Best tourist destination (World’s Leading Destination) – Portugal
- Best hotel restaurant (World’s Leading Fine Dining Hotel Restaurant) – Vila Joya Hotel Restaurant (Vila, Joya, Algarve)
- The best flight magazine (World’s Leading Inflight Magazine) – Up Magazine (TAP Air Portugal)
- Best luxury resort (World’s Leading Luxury Leisure Resort) – Conrad Algarve (Almancil, Algarve)
- The best office of tourism (World’s Leading Tourist Board) – Turismo de Portugal
- Best airline in Africa (World’s Leading Airline to Africa) – TAP Air Portugal
- Best airline in South America (the World’s Leading Airline to South America) – TAP Air Portugal
- Best tourism website (World’s Leading Tourism Authority Website) – Visit Portugal.
- The best island (World’s Leading Island Destination) – Madeira
"It is a great honor to receive this distinction again,” said Secretary of State for Tourism, Ana Mendes Godinho. “Being named the world champions in Tourism for the second consecutive year is a sign that Portugal is indeed a must-see destination. Thanks goes to the work of all the Portuguese -- this is, above all, a prize for them.”
As Portugal is recognized as a top regional and global tourist destination, the international recognition of Portugal has increased significantly in the last three years. Since 2015, the number of international articles on Portugal as a destination has increased by 107%.
Winners of the World Travel Awards are based on a yearlong, online voting campaign. Votes from the public carry a weighting of one, while votes cast by travel professionals carry a weighting of two. Finalists for the grand finale are made of up winners from the regional awards and are recognized by the WTA.
Portugal is a unique gem of Europe. While the country has eight centuries of history with marvelous castles and architecture, it is also a must-visit place for foodies. Portugal has the biggest exclusive fishing zone in Europe, making seafood fresh and affordable. Local cuisine is vegetarian-friendly as well, offering hearty soups, stews and locally grown fruits and vegetables. Pop music lovers of all ages will enjoy local music festivals.